Rapidly Deployed Tents - Isis Project No 1264
A team of Oxford inventors has designed a new, lightweight, rapidly erected tent for all applications from leisure to defence.
The requirement for an easily transported and rapidly erected tent or shelter system is essential for military and emergency aid situations, civilian applications and the leisure industry. Using a series of simple mechanical linkages a 2D sub-unit can be easily expanded to provide temporary accommodation of high strength suitable for use in a wide range of climatic conditions.
The Oxford Invention
Unlike other deployable structures the Oxford invention has the following unique advantages:
- Structure of identical bars and hinges
- complete interchangeability of members
- easy parts fabrication and maintenance
- Structure collapses flat and segments for:
- compact packing
- easy transport
- Structure has only a single layer
- facilitating greater interior volume
- Structure is over-constrained
- withstands damage to one or more structural elements
- elements removable for special access points
- The inter-linked frame configuration allows system weight reduction for the same structural strength.
Commercial Opportunity & Patent Status
This work is the subject of patent application, and Isis wishes to talk to companies interested in developing the commercial opportunity that this represents.