Starting a Spin-out Company
Company / Project Name:
Researchers and Departments involved:
Isis Project Number:
|Isis Technology Transfer Manager:|
|Target Investment Date:|
The Proposed Business
- Product / Service Offering
- What Product / Services will the company sell in the short, medium and long term?
- Source of Products/Services
- Where will the company get the products / services it sells (develop them, manufacture in house, buy in, already has them etc.)?
- Target Market(s)
- Estimate of market(s) size; whether they are growing, static or declining; potential competitors.
- Route to Market
- How will the goods/services be sold?
- Business Projection
- What are expected sales, margin, overheads and cash requirement for the first few years? (We could provide pro forma spreadsheets if required)
- Company Personnel
- Give the names of the individuals if known and state whether full or part time (quantify part time). State specifically who will be responsible for the following key functions:
- Product Development (R&D) / Procurement
- Sales and Marketing
- Finance / Accounting
- Leadership / General Management
- Who are the proposed Directors and Company Secretary?
- Who are the proposed Lawyers, Accountants and Bankers?
- What is the total cash investment by external investors?
- Who are the external investors?
- What equity is offered to the University and the investors?
What are the major sources of risk / uncertainty in this proposal?
(Technical risks, academic competition, commercial competition, management risks)
The Science and Intellectual Property
The purpose of these sections is to enable Isis and the University to understand and evaluate both the quality and the security of the science, in order to form an opinion of its potential value.
Please add a section, which will describe, to a suitably qualified person, the basis of the science, the relevant experience of the scientists involved, and likely developments in the field.
Also describe both the intellectual property and the know-how which will be going into the company (including patents, both filed and potential). Please identify any University Intellectual Property that will be needed by the Company.
Will the company place research contracts with the University? If so, enclose details of the duration and magnitude of the proposed projects. Have terms been agreed with the University?
Please describe the University approvals you have sought / will need to seek in relation to directorships, consulting appointments, conflict of interest, research contracts etc.
This proposal has been prepared by: